Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Insomnia & Anxiety - Round and Round We Go

So, I've suffered from insomnia on and off for years. I will go through periods of time (weeks sometimes) where I cannot fall asleep until 3, 4, or sometimes 5 am. Here's the rub. I need to sleep to reduce my anxiety and stress, and yet I am scared to a) go to sleep b) not be able to go to sleep, both of which keep me awake.

When I'm not having terrible anxiety and just the insomnia, it's not quite as bad. I accept the fact that I probably won't fall asleep until 3 or 4am and that's ok. I will be able to "make up" for it the next night. When I'm not anxious, the insomnia cycle usually only lasts 2 or 3 nights. Then I fall back into my normal sleep routine.

However, when I am going through heavy anxiety periods, like I am now. The cycle is utterly miserable. I often think "why won't my brain just shut off"? "Why can't I just go to sleep, I know sleep will help me!" I fear taking anything that will make me go to sleep because I don't want to become addicted to anything or have to depend on sleep aids. So right now, I'm caught in one of those cycles. It's been 3 weeks now and the insomnia is getting worse. I'm sick, on my period, having panic attacks daily, and going through a major life change-- my husband, who is my support person, is going back to school and will be gone 2 days every week for the next 2 months.

I broke down and bought some ZZZquil today. Of course, I'm scouring the internet to find out if I should take it with anxiety or any negative side effects that it might have. Most of the reviews I have seen have been positive and I am going to try to put away my negative thoughts, bite the bullet and take some ZZZquil before bed tonight.

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.


12/23/15 follow up: Zzzquil may work but my guess is that you have to take the right dose. The recommended dose is 30 ml. I took 10ml at 9pm and another 10ml at 2am. Didn't get to sleep until after 5am once again :(

No comments: